Re: long-standing tty related issue: wrapped Emacs not suspended

On 2018-09-22 11:27:32 -1000, Joey Pabalinas wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 22, 2018 at 08:54:48PM +0200, Vincent Lefevre wrote:
> > A SIGCONT handler can be useful for programs running under
> > Grid Engine (together with a SIGUSR1 handler, as this signal
> > is sent shortly before SIGSTOP).
>
> This assumes that you will always receive USR1 before every STOP, but
> since STOP is uncatchable like KILL, this may not always happen. Imagine
> an external process sendind it without sending USR1 first, and suddenly your
> assumption is no longer true.

Under the Grid Engine usage, the user should make sure that this never
happens, or this could be seen as a usage error (just like sending a
SIGKILL for no reasons would also be an error).

Now, if the program was started by an interactive shell, I assume
that a SIGCONT can be fine: the handler should be able to detect
that it is not under the specific SIGUSR1 / SIGCONT usage.

--
Vincent Lefèvre <vincent@xxxxxxxxxx> - Web: <https://www.vinc17.net/>