Possibly a bug involving rcs flag on mac?

Greetings

I have some strange buggy behaviour going on. If I run zsh in a bash
terminal window, it will not run .zshrc:

$ zsh

If I instead do this:

$ zsh --rcs ~/.zshrc

Then it will run .zshrc ... but it will also exit immediately ... this
happens even if I run it in interactive mode:

$ zsh --interactive ~/.zshrc

If I add the below lines to the top of my .zshrc file, I can clearly
see the difference in having the --interactive flag ... but it exits
immediately either way:

echo "running zshrc"
if [[ -o interactive ]]; then; print yes; else; print no; fi

I am using zsh version 5.7.1 ... I also tried it with 5.6.2 and even
5.3 ... but no luck ...

I tried doing the same thing on my friends mac ... and there it worked
without any problems (just running zsh straight from bash) ...

Any idea what the issue might be?