Re: Test release: 5.7.1-test-1

On 14 Dec 2019, at 23:16, Daniel Shahaf <d.s@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I _still_ think -test- tarballs should not describe themselves as the final
> release, but if we have precedent for doing things differently then
> perhaps there's a good reason for that that I'm overlooking.

I don't feel strongly either way. Let's see if anyone else does; if not, i'll
update the instructions according to your preference.

On 14 Dec 2019, at 23:16, Daniel Shahaf <d.s@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> This implies that the release after ${V}-dev-5 could be either
> ${V}-test-1 or ${V}-test-6, insofar as version number ordering is
> concerned.  I don't have a strong preference between these two.

Maybe when you were writing the instructions you interpreted it as resetting
to 1 because we *were* incrementing it, and it just so happens that there's
usually only the one dev release (-dev-0)? If we're going to have it reset i
feel like maybe we should just use 0 for both, but i also don't feel strongly
about resetting vs incrementing. Does anyone else?

On 14 Dec 2019, at 23:16, Daniel Shahaf <d.s@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> No fault to you for guessing wrongly — on the contrary, kudos for taking
> action and asking on-list afterwards — but I suggest that you revert
> this.

Done. When i update the instructions, i'll make that a 'stable only' step.

dana