Re: PATCH: draw prompt on the correct line after window change

On Mon, Jan 6, 2020 at 8:38 PM Roman Perepelitsa
<roman.perepelitsa@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 6, 2020 at 8:28 PM Bart Schaefer <schaefer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > IIR the problem correctly, a possible approach to resolve my concern would be to have the terminal report the cursor position for the shell to read+save it, rather than rely on the terminal save/restore action.
>
> I implemented this prior to the patch I sent. Unfortunately, this
> added enough prompt latency to make it noticeable.

I've implemented this again to verify that my recollection of the
reason I rejected this approach was correct. It was not. u7 is indeed
slow but the primary reason I abandoned it in the first implementation
is that it doesn't work here. The absolute position of prompt start
changes when terminal content gets reflown upon resize.

After a few more issues filed against powerlevel10k due to the
resizing bug, I wrote this troubleshooting entry:
https://github.com/romkatv/powerlevel10k/blob/master/README.md#horrific-mess-when-resizing-terminal-window.
Perhaps it'll help others who stumble on this.

Roman.