Re: Plan for the 5.9 branch

On 17 Feb 2020, at 03:19, Daniel Shahaf <d.s@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I think even before documenting the process, we'll have to agree on
> what the goal is and what the additional releases would contain.  Just bugfixes,
> or also new features?

Right. All i'm really worried about personally are fixes for security issues
and the type of regressions we normally correct in .1 releases.

Beyond that, maybe stuff like trivial completion updates could go in if we're
planning a patch release anyway — that's what we've done lately with .1
releases — but i don't think it's important and i'm not suggesting that we go
out of our way for them.

On 17 Feb 2020, at 03:19, Daniel Shahaf <d.s@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> What degree of support/compatibility promises will they
> come with — comparable to a -dev/-test release or to a regular release?  Etc.

Re: compatibility, as a rule i would suggest that patch releases under this
system should not contain anything that Debian/Ubuntu wouldn't be comfortable
pulling into one of their (non-rolling) releases. Maybe that's slightly too
strict in practice, but i think that's a reasonable goal at least.

Re: support, i'm not sure i even know what promises we make for stable
releases now, lol

dana