Automatically checking mail

Hi.  I've been having trouble getting zsh 2.5.03 to automatically
check my mail folders.  I've set MAILCHECK to various values, and set
mailpath to a colon-delimited list of various files and directories (I
use MH, but I tried with some normal files, too.)  I've also set MAIL
to my system mailbox (in my case ~/.mail).  But I can't get it to do
anything.  Is there some trick to this, or something obvious I'm
missing?

I just wrote to the old list address, but I checked the archive here
and din't think my message got through.  But if it did, and this is a
repeat, my apologies.

-Dan Eisenbud