losing HISTFILE

under 2.6-beta1:

through no one's fault but my own, I keep losing my history file
(usually happens when I start a shell and then abort it before it
gets going).

Often I have another shell running, which seems to remember the
full history, even though the file itself is gone.

Is there a way I can dump the history into a new file?? Before you
say "use the history command!", I tried, and it only gives me the
history which the current shell has, rather than the history all the
way down to event #1

thanks

TjL
---
Timothy J. Luoma 	            <luomat@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
NeXT 3.2 m68k		               Another convert to the Z-Shell
MIME & NeXTMail OK but remember I'm only using PPP, so big = trouble
"If I  understood the man page, I wouldn't have asked the question."