How to kill string but leave it in history?

Suppose, I type in long command and realize, I made some mistake (or I
need to look for additional info). If I cancel line with DEL (or ^C) the
line gets lost and I have to retype it - nor very handy.

I understand, that I can push it on stack, but it then pops up
automatically after next command - not what I want.

So - is there any way to cancel current command line but leave it in
history?

thanks in advance

Oh, yes - zsh 3.1.0 (without dynamic support)

Andrej Borsenkow 		Fax:   +7 (095) 252 01 05
SNI ITS Moscow			Tel:   +7 (095) 252 13 88

NERV:  borsenkow.msk		E-Mail: borsenkow.msk@xxxxxx