Re: How to make APPENDHISTORY useful?

I've been thinking about this too.  What would be useful is to have an
option or mechanism to grep out only the "interesting" lines from the
history before saving them.  "Interesting" might mean a regular
expression; even more useful would be a way to keep the last couple of
executions of each command name (sometimes if I haven't used a command,
a good example from an earlier use [while I was looking at the man page]
is all I need).  Also "interesting" could be any pipeline, or multi-part
command.

This might be almost doable within the current framework, though still
having the problem about when to do the trimming down of the history.

Greg