Re: very weird echo problem

Geoff Wing wrote:

> Can you produce more of the script?  There isn't enough there to
> determine what the problem is.  I produced no problems from a
> cron job or via other non-tty specific methods either with 2.5.03
> or 3.* Thanks

You got me wrong. This actually IS practically the complete test
script (well, #!/usr/bin/zsh is missing, and you should replace
$LOGFILE by a name...) which reproduces the problem on my machine.

Here is the actual one with which I just tested it again:

#!/usr/bin/zsh

log()
{
DATE=$(date)
echo $1
echo $1 >>/log
}

log TEST; log TEST_SAME_LINE
log TEST_NEXT_LINE

This script will only write

        TEST
        TEST_SAME_LINE

to /log when called by cron. It works fine when called from a shell.

It also works fine if I apply one of the following changes to log():

1.******************************
DATE=$(date)
echo $1 1>&1
echo $1 >>/log

2.******************************
date
echo $1
echo $1 >>/log

3.******************************
DATE=$(date)
echo $1 >>/log

I'm using zsh 2.5.02 under NEXTSTEP 3.3 Intel. (2.5.02 is the
distribution that is included in NEXTSTEP 3.3).

                Bye
                        Uli

Uli Zappe               E-Mail: uli@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
                                (NeXTMail,Mime,ASCII) PGP on request
Lorscher Strasse 5      WWW:    -
D-60489 Frankfurt       Fon:    +49 (69) 9784 0007
Germany                 Fax:    +49 (69) 9784 0042

staff member of NEXTTOYOU - the German NEXTSTEP/OPENSTEP magazine