problems installing zsh on x86

	i'm trying to install zsh (3.0.2) on a pc running solaris x86; i'm
assuming that the solaris 2.x listing in the MACHINES file covers this
host, meaning someone else has successfully done this... was that my first
mistake?  regardless, when i run ./configure, i get the following results:

>configuring for zsh 3.0.2
>checking host system type... i386-pc-solaris2.5.1
>checking for gcc... no
>checking for cc... cc
>checking whether the C compiler (cc  ) works... no
>configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C compiler cannot
>create executables.

	after looking through configure (my perl knowledge is minimal at
best, so i could be very off here) i have concluded that a) it cannot find
gcc, and b) its attempt to test cc (the next compiler it found) fails, so
it exits.  gcc _is_ on the machine, however, so i'm not sure why it isn't
being found.  also, when it then finds cc, why does the test fail?

	(i realize this is all pretty basic stuff, but i've gone through
all of the FAQs, web pages, etc., and couldn't see anything specifically
about this; i'm guessing that if i had more unix/c experience i'd be able
to figure it out, but until very recently, i was just an end-user at work
who became really used to having zsh on the main server; now my old
sysadmin is gone, before he could install it on the other servers that we
have set up.)

	TIA,
	sweth.