Re: strange behaviour with .zsh and su

Louis-David Mitterrand wrote:
In zsh.users you write:
:I recently switched to defining a ZSHDOTDIR in /etc/zprofile to
:unclutter my home directory. It works fine when I am logged as a normal
:user but now when I 'su' to root from that account root's .zshrc isn't
:sourced anymore even though I put root's .zshrc into its own ZDOTDIR...
:When I 'su -l' the .zsh/.zshrc is sourced but I'd rather it worked with
:plain 'su' so that I don't change directories.
:Linux, zsh_3.0.3
:export ZSHDOTDIR=.zsh

1. I hope you are using ZDOTDIR, not ZSHDOTDIR
2. /etc/zprofile isn't sourced unless you're in a login shell.  Put your
   ZDOTDIR stuff in /etc/zshenv - that's the only file that can be guaranteed
   to be read for each instance.

I don't understand your full situation.  Eg. where do your startup files
reside and where do root's?  You seem to be implying that if you're in a
directory, say /foo , then when you su the startup files are in
/foo/.zsh  but if you cd to /bar  then when you su the startup files
are in /bar/.zsh
Is this right?  If not, please clarify the situation.
--
Geoff Wing [mason@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]   Technical Manager
  Phone    : +61-3-9818 2977         PrimeNet - Internet Consultancy