Re: strange behaviour with .zsh and su

Richard Coleman <coleman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> I think zsh's method for startup files is the most logical
> of all the common shells.
> .
> .zshenv  -- invoked on every startup.
> .zshrc   -- invoked for interactive shells.
> .zlogin  -- invoked for login shells.
> .zlogout -- invoked on logout

If it is the most logical for you, it's fine. But if it isn't, it does all
those lookups for no reason. Actually, I don't care so much, I don't have to
use them, right ? (my .zprofile and .zlogin are always empty since I mostly
login via XDM anyway)

The problem is more with /etc/zprofile and /etc/zlogin since you have to be
careful with what you put in there: it might very well break (be broken by)
..zshenv (and even .zprofile and .zshrc for the /etc/zlogin).

I'd be perfectly happy with

        /etc/zshenv, /etc/zshrc, ~/.zshenv, ~/.zshrc

This way there is no weird interaction between user's and system's files.

Anyway, this is all hot-air because it's not going to change any time soon,

        Stefan