Re: coprocesses and bc

Matthias Kopfermann wrote:
> coproc bc
>
> print -p "23*34"
>
> read -p erg
> echo $erg
>

> my zsh (linux 2.029) sticks with read -p erg.
> nothing is moving.

Try the following experiment: type 'bc | cat' at the keyboard,
then the sum on the following line.  If you don't get a message back
straight away, bc is buffering output when it's not going to a terminal.
My guess is that this is happening in Linux and not on your AIX machine.
If that's right, then it's not a shell problem (phew).  This would
certainly reflect my experience comparing Irix with SunOS 4.

--
Peter Stephenson <pws@xxxxxx>       Tel: +49 33762 77366
WWW:  http://www.ifh.de/~pws/       Fax: +49 33762 77413