pipe which fakes a pseudo tty?

Is there any way to make zsh "pipe" through a pseudo tty?  e.g.,

xev | awk-script-to-parse-keybindings

    ^ I want this pipe to not make xev turn on block buffering.
      (I want line-buffering as is the default when stdout is a tty)

This seems like a reasonably shell-like thing to do.

Alternatively, does anyone have a pointer to the pty4 program updated
for Linux and other more recent Unix versions.  The 1992ish version I
found on the net does not build cleanly and I don't want to reinvent the
wheel if someone else has a good solution (ideally w/o using perl, since
some of the uses for this that I have in mind are for a possibly
crippled system).

Thanks for any tips or pointers.

Greg J. Badros
gjb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx