What is wrong with this recipe?

verify () {
	for i in "$*"
	do
		if [ -r "$i" ]
		then
		  cd `dirname $i`
		  shortname=`basename $i`
		  md5sum "$shortname" > "$shortname.md5sum"
		  echo "Verified $shortname to $shortname.md5sum"
		else
		  echo "Can't find $i"
		fi
	done
}

Here's what happens when I enter it on the commandline:

verify () {
function> for i in "$*"
function for> do
function for> if [ -r "$i" ]
function for if> then
function for then> cd `dirname $i`
function for then> shortname=`basename $i`
function for then> md5sum "$shortname" > "$shortname.md5sum"
function for then> echo "Verified $shortname to $shortname.md5sum"
function for then> else
function for else> echo "Can't find $i"
function for else> fi
function for else> done
zsh: parse error near `done'

I'm sure it's obvious.... but I've been looking at it and it makes no sense
to me...

TjL