tty settings

When I use zsh inside an Emacs shell buffer, I get all kinds of ugly
^M's and echoing of the command.  By experimenting with other shells
I came to the conclusion that it's zsh's fault in that it changes the
tty settings (like 'echo').

Better yet, it seems that zsh resets the `echo' setting whenever a prompt is
displayed (and even if ttyctl is unfrozen):

    % ttyctl -u; stty -echo; stty -a | grep echo
    isig icanon iexten -echo echoe echok -echonl -noflsh -xcase -tostop -echoprt echoctl echoke
    % stty -a | grep echo
    isig icanon iexten echo echoe echok -echonl -noflsh -xcase -tostop -echoprt echoctl echoke
    % ttyctl
    tty is not frozen
    %

How can I convince zsh (3.0.5) not to mess around with the tty settings
in Emacs shells buffers (TERM=dumb) ?

	Stefan