zsh and 'mesg' on AIX

I experience some weird effects when having the command 'mesg n' in my
.zlogin on AIX 4.2. It erases the German umlauts from my keyboard. For
example, o-umlaut becomes 'd'.
I suspect it to be a zsh problem, because it does not happen with ksh if
'mesg' is in the .profile. It also does not happen when the command is
given at the zsh-prompt.
Hm, and right now I remember that some time ago I got _very_ weird error
messages from zsh while excuting my .zlogin, which disappeared after
deleting the mesg command.

Any ideas?

Bernd

--
Bernd Eggink
Regionales Rechenzentrum der Uni Hamburg