How to trigger the death of zsh(3.0.5)

Hello,

1)
 I posted a while ago a message about the "disappearing zsh".
 I'm still using zsh-3.0.5(the one which comes with slackware 3.5) and I
found a way to trigger the death of zsh:
 I'm doing a backward-i-search(Ctrl-r) for "ls"(without quotes) and instead of
pressing enter I'm hitting Ctrl-C(which is interrupt key for my terminal) so
the prompt for search is disappearing. Then it's enough to type "ls",
enter and the shell is dead.

My machine is linux-2.0.33 on a ix86 architecture(P200) with slackware 3.5.

The strace output is available on request.

Here is the /etc/zprofile(which is linked to /etc/zshrc):

export PS1='%n@%m:%~%# '
export PATH=/usr/lib/teTeX/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/local/samba/bin:.
export HISTFILE=~/.history
export HISTSIZE=500
export LESSOPEN="|lesspipe.sh %s"
export LESS="-MMQ"
export SAVEHIST=500
export PAGER=less
export MIBS=ALL

setopt histignoredups histignorespace nobeep autocd autolist nonomatch appendhistory nobgnice correctall histnostore listtypes

# Home, End, Del for linux and xterm
bindkey "^[[1~" beginning-of-line
bindkey "^[[3~" delete-char
bindkey "^[[4~" end-of-line

ulimit -c 0

#ls colors
eval `dircolors -z`

#alias part
alias cls=clear
alias l='ls -lsa'
alias cp='cp -i'
alias mv='nocorrect mv -i'
alias s='screen'

#we are done
echo

--- end here ---

I have no personal rcfiles.

2)
Another question: Is there any way to bind the keys the way they are in
bash for "insert-last-word"? I'm trying to convince some other people to
move to zsh but it seems that this is a big impediment for them.
In bash if I type Ctrl-Alt-y it inserts the first argument of the previous
command(this can be done also with ESC Ctrl-y as two hits sequence). Of
course if this is preceded be a Alt-number(or ESC number) it will insert
the argument of the previous command with that number.

3)
Why zsh is not able to run the script which comes with linux kernel
scripts/patch-kernel? It seems that it is not passing the PATH enviroment
variable because it is not finding "gzip" or "bzip2"(I'm runing the script
with a command like:

. scripts/patch-kernel

or

zsh scripts/patch-kernel