Problem w/ ulimit killing compiles on sol 2.4&2.6 ...

Hi,

I'm running zsh 3.0.5 on a Solaris 2.4 and 2.6 machine, while attempting to
build a large C++ application with gcc -2.7.2.1 the compile exits
prematurly after attempting to link the resulting objects.  The program
uses HP STL (old Standard Template Library) and the -frepo compile option
to gcc.  (-frepo is used recompiling objects to allevitate the template
instantion problem - from what I understand.)

When I got to a fresh ksh with nothing int he evnironment, I'm able to
build and link the program just fine.

My question is why is this happening and how can I fix it ?  (I have 24
directories in my PATH!)  What contributes to this limit problem and is
there any way to increase the limit any more..

output from ulimit on sol 2.4 :

pts/1 zsh-3.0.5 > ulimit -a
cpu time (seconds)         unlimited
file size (blocks)         unlimited