Re: Problem w/ ulimit killing compiles on sol 2.4&2.6 ...

On Feb 3,  1:29pm, Greg Sylvain wrote:
> Subject: Re: Problem w/ ulimit killing compiles on sol 2.4&2.6 ...
>
> 1 - where is the most appropriate place to put the unlimit call (~/.zshenv
> or ~/.zshrc).  I never have been able to figure out what goes where.

Stuff you want in every shell goes in .zshenv.
Stuff you want in any interactive shell goes in .zshrc.
Stuff you want only in login shells goes in .zprofile or .zlogin (depending
on whether it needs to precede or follow stuff that's in .zshrc; usually
you won't need both).

Often stuff from your first login shell is inherited by all other shells
(exceptions include shells started with "rsh host command"), so anything
like that should go in .zlogin to speed startup of other shells.

Hey, PWS, why isn't this in the FAQ?  It's probably THE most FAQ I've
ever seen.

> Currently, I only specify my path in ~/.zshenv and everything else is done
> in ~/.zshrc, is this correct ?

It might be.

I'd say put the unlimit in .zshenv, too; but it may be sufficient for your
usage to have it happen once the first time you log in, thus in .zlogin.

> 2 - is there any way to determine the amount of resources consumed by zsh
> and in what areas ?

Only by using the "ps" command or something like the /proc filesystem on
linux, as far as I know.