Re: Updating the Xterm title with every execution?

About the closest non-convoluted way to do it I can think of is to use
preexec to echo various arguments to the title bar. (These arguments
will be echoed after history expansion but before any other type of
substitution / generation)

Resetting the title bar in this case is a tricky issue. Assuming an
interactive shell, you could use precmd to reset the title bar to
something just before the zsh prompt is displayed. That doesn't
necessarily mean you'll retain the same title bar as before the
command ran.

Anything attempts beyond this I personally see as getting a bit
hackish, ie.  wasn't intended to be supported by zsh specifically.