Re: PROMPT

On Jun 16, 11:27am, Oliver Grimm wrote:
} Subject: PROMPT
}
} I do have a strange problem with the PROMPT variable, persisting since
} some time. After upgrading to Linux 6.1, the command
} 'PROMPT  Hallo' does not change the prompt anymore.
}
} Now, the version of zsh is 3.0 (dated 26 June 1996), but it seems
} that it's not the fault of zsh, since on a different machine with the
} same version of zsh (but not under Linux but Solaris Unix), this
} does work properly.

Did you recompile zsh after installing the new OS, or are you still
running the old binary?  I've had a number of strange problems when
running older Linux binaries on my upgraded OS, including things like
some of the libc string functions not working correctly -- neither the
"par" paragraph-formatting package nor the old zmail beta that I'd been
using as my mailer could parse text properly any more, and the slightly
newer version of zmail that I'm using now is unable to get the correct
timezone (you may note that my Date: headers say +0000, though they do
contain the GMT it would be if I were instantly teleported to England).

If `Linux 6.1' really does mean RedHat, you should install the zsh-3.0.5
RPM (and then carefully consider deleting the /etc/z* files) and let us
know if the problem persists.