Re: different kind of glob_complete?

On Sep 3, 12:39am, Will Day wrote:
} Subject: different kind of glob_complete?
}
} Here's something I've been wondering about - can I get zsh to perform menu
} completion of glob patterns that match exactly the end of a string?
}
} I'm thinking this would be like glob_complete:
} but _without_ the trailing '*'?

This is interesting.  Compare manual entries; here again is 3.1.6:

GLOB_COMPLETE
     When the current word has a glob pattern, do not insert all the
     words resulting from the expansion but generate matches as for
     completion and cycle through them like MENU_COMPLETE. The matches
     are generated as if a `*' is added to the end of the word or
     inserted at the cursor if COMPLETE_IN_WORD is set.  Since this
     doesn't use globbing, it works not only for files but for all
     completions, such as options, user names, etc.

Here is 3.0.6:

GLOB_COMPLETE
     When the current word has a glob pattern, do not insert all the
     words resulting from the expansion but cycle through them like
     `MENU_COMPLETE'.  If no matches are found, a `*' is added to the
                       !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
     end of the word, or inserted at the cursor if `COMPLETE_IN_WORD'
     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
     is set, and completion is attempted again.  Using patterns works
     not only for files but for all completions, such as options, user
     names, etc.

I think the 3.1.6 behavior was introduced by Sven in zsh-workers/5871, and
was briefly discussed at that time.  Here's a case where it might differ a
lot from the 3.0.6 behavior, and it sounds as if Will would prefer the old
form -- in fact, he'd prefer that completion were not attempted again when
no matches are found in the first place.

You can certainly get this by some arrangement of the settings for the new
function-based completion system, but I could understand the confusion if
formerly zsh glob-completed file.11 and file.21 but now it glob-completes
filefoo91blather as well.