Re: simulation of dabbrev-expand

Bart Schaefer (schaefer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:
> On Sep 9,  1:39pm, Adam Spiers wrote:
> } Subject: simulation of dabbrev-expand
> }
> } It appears to always work fine when grabbing words from history added
> } by the current shell, but either doesn't work at all, or very
> } unreliably when you want to grab a word from the saved history.
>
> Can you perhaps give a more specific example?  I'm not having any trouble
> with this at all.

  % history 1 | grep ' /' | wc -l
      650
  % zle -l | grep hist
  _history_complete_word -C .complete-word _history_complete_word
  _reverse_history_complete_word -C reverse-menu-complete _history_complete_word
  % _history_complete_word () {
  local expl
  compstate[list]=list
  compstate[insert]=menu
  _description -V expl 'history word'
  compgen -V 'history words' -Q -H 0 ''
  }
  % bindkey ^[/
  "^[/" _history_complete_word
  % less /<>
  % less /usr/share/zsh/functions/_man
  zsh: do you wish to see all 51 possibilities?

Where did all the others go?  For example, a very old entry in my
history (I save large histories):

   114  cp /share/software/redhat/updates-6.0/i386/netscape-* .

but when I try do

  % ls /s<meta-/>

nothing happens.  The newer entries work fine.  This problem has
exhibited itself in exactly the same way across zsh-3.1.6-pws-* :-(

> What history-related options do you have set?

  % setopt | grep hist
  cshjunkiehistory
  extendedhistory
  histallowclobber