Re: Functions/Misc/nslookup (Re: coproc tutorial (Re: questions))

On Tue, Oct 12, 1999 at 09:54:11AM +0100, Oliver Kiddle wrote:

> Bart Schaefer wrote:
>
> > This doesn't work for me because the real nslookup begins block-buffering
> > its output when stdout is not a tty.  Furthermore, if I type ^C while the
> > nslookup function is running, the entire shell exits.
>
> I've had trouble getting it to work as well which I assumed was to do
> with it not having a tty. I tried the same trick with timedc and mailx
> aswell with varying problems. Are there any tricks we can do so that the
> programs think they have a terminal because it is potentially a very
> useful idea? If we can get it to work reliably a generic function for
> the purpose as Sven suggested would be a good idea. Can anyone think of
> any other programs which it might be useful for?

ncftp -L (or other FTP clients)

Anyways, letting zsh control the input for curses-based programs would
be *really* cool - you run an editor in zsh and get inline completion as
a bonus :-) (Well, only an example, vim already has completion). But I
think that may be too much to code :-}

> Oliver Kiddle

CU,
Thomas