Re: rm -r

>>> "TK" == Thomas Köhler <jean-luc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

 TK> On Tue, Dec 21, 1999 at 07:52:29PM +0100,
 TK> fg <francis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

[...]

 >> BTW, whats the argument limit for zsh?

This limit is not set by zsh but by the underlying libraries/OS.
Moreover (correct me if I'm wrong) it is usualy set in term of a limit
on the size of the environnement plus the size of the parameters (not
realy the number of these).

[...]

 TK> zsh: argument list too long: /bin/echo

This a standard message printed from `strerror(E2BIG)' after
`execve(...)' returned the error `E2BIG' to zsh.  In other words,
that's the C library speaking to you through zsh.

 TK> Ah, the limit is at 32766 arguments. (On Linux-i386)

Well, for *you* and with this particular case of arguments list!

 TK> Here's the few situations where I need find again... :)

Since `echo' is builtin (therefore not exec'ed), you may want to do

echo PATTERN | xargs COMMAND

when `COMMAND PATTERN' don't work.

[...]

--