Re: Problem compiling on Sun SPARC 5

On Tue, Feb 01, 2000 at 08:57:22AM +1100, Ken Moorley wrote:
> Can anyone help with the following compile error:-
>
> Solaris 2.6 on SPARCstation 5
>
> gcc version 2.7.2.3

A tad old...
These problems _might_ come from that the compiler is built with a
older version of the OS. I have seen strange things with old gcc and
newer versions of Solaris than it was built with.

gcc is up at version 2.95.2 so it is time to upgrade anyway ;)
If you don't want to build from source visit www.sunfreeware.com and
grab a prebuilt solaris-package.

> gcc -c -I. -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -Wall
> -Wno-implicit -Wmissing-prototypes -O2  -o builtin.o builtin.c
> In file included from /usr/include/sys/wait.h:24,
>                  from system.h:232,
>                  from zsh.mdh:6,
>                  from builtin.c:30:
> /usr/include/sys/resource.h:148: warning: `struct rlimit64' declared inside
> parameter list
> /usr/include/sys/resource.h:148: warning: its scope is only this definition
> or declaration,
> /usr/include/sys/resource.h:148: warning: which is probably not what you
> want.
> /usr/include/sys/resource.h:149: warning: `struct rlimit64' declared inside
> parameter list

I looked at this include file and I don't see any problems with it
unless struct rlimit64 is never declared. That might happen if
_LARGEFILE64_SOURCE isn't defined as it should be and that
_FILE_OFFSET_BITS is defined to 64.
If this is the case the first encounter of struct rlimit64 is inside
the prototypes at line 148 and 149 which makes the warnings
understandable.
This is probably not your real problem anyway.

> builtin.c: In function `bin_cd':
> builtin.c:714: invalid operands to binary !=

This is where it chokes, the rest is just warnings. It complains about
that != haven't got valid operands, that is something that returns a
value. This implies a bug/typo in the source, but I find that unlikely
as most people here is probably compiling the same sources with gcc so
it should have surfaced earlier.
Look at line 714 in builtin.c and see if you can see what it's trying
to do.
BTW. which version did you try to compile?

--
Stefan Berglund                       | sbl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
System Administrator @dd.chalmers.se  | Tel: +46 31 772 32 43