Re: zsh tips for "UNIX Power Tools"

On Mar 3, 12:39pm, Thomas Köhler wrote:
} Subject: Re: zsh tips for "UNIX Power Tools"
}
} My favorite zsh tricks (some of which are not too tricky, but perhaps
} worth to be mentioned anyways):
} - I like the globbing features of zsh, especially this one:
}   for i in **/*.gif ; do convert $i ${i:r}.png ; done

It's even easier than that:

    for i in **/*.gif; convert $i $i:r.png

You don't need the "do ... done" for a one-liner.  (The no_short_loops
option can be used to require do ... done for ksh script compatibility.)
You don't need the { } for $i:r either (though you would if there were
not a "." between the "r" and the "png").

Skipping ahead just a bit:

} This is my last trick for now (and it contains some escape characters,
} so be sure to copy them as such if you want to try this)

Avoid literal escape characters in 3.1.6 and later by using $'...'.
The result of $'...' is that the stuff in between the single quotes is
treated as if you did $(print '...') instead.  So now \e is escape:

	RPROMPT=$'%{\e[0;33m%}%1v%{\e[0m%}'

}   function precmd {
}      # OK, I set the prompt here in my original precmd, but that's not the
}      # issue here :)
}      if jobs % >& /dev/null; then
}         psvar=("There are jobs.")
}      else
}         psvar=("")
}      fi
}   }

Two things:  First, you can assign directly to individual elements of an
array, thusly:

	psvar[1]="There are jobs."

That way you can use other positions in $psvar for other things, without
reassigning the whole thing every time.

Second, in 3.1.6-dev-19, you've got the parameter module available, so
you can avoid running the jobs command and even do some fancier stuff:

	# requires zmodload zsh/parameter
	case "$jobstates" in
	(*suspended*)
	  psvar[1]="There are stopped jobs.";;
	(*running*)
	  psvar[1]="There are running jobs.";;
	(*)
	  psvar[1]="";;
	esac

Note that if instead you'd said

	psvar[1]=()

then that's equivalent to

	shift psvar

which is probably not what you want in this case.

}   The last line in my precmd (marked "SEE THERE" above") reads like
}   this:
}      (sleep 1 ; show_mode "INSERT") &!
}   [I need the sleep because I have a multiline prompt, so the show_mode
}   would set the indication to the wrong place otherwise]

There's a better way to do this:

	# requires setopt prompt_subst
	PROMPT="$PROMPT"'%{$(show_mode INSERT >/dev/tty)%}'

Now the prompt itself runs the initial show_mode, and you don't need any
background jobs run from precmd.  Note that I wrapped it in %{...%} to
indicate that it shouldn't be counted when computing the prompt width.
The redirection to /dev/tty is so that the output of show_mode won't
really become part of the prompt.

}   ###       vi-add-eol (unbound) (A) (unbound)
}   ###              Move  to the end of the line and enter insert mode.
}   vi-add-eol() {
}      show_mode "INSERT"
}      builtin zle .vi-add-eol
}   }
}   zle -N vi-add-eol
}   bindkey -M vicmd "A" vi-add-eol

Note that "A" is already bound to vi-add-eol in the vicmd keymap, so you
don't need that bindkey command.  It's enough to replace the existing
widget of that name with "zle -N vi-add-eol".  Same goes for the rest
of these widgets, as far as I noticed.