Re: zsh tips for "UNIX Power Tools"

On Sat, Mar 04, 2000 at 12:08:21AM +0100,
Bruce Stephens <bruce+zsh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Thomas Köhler <jean-luc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
> [...]
>
> >   And this one:
> >   chmod 755 **/*(/)
> >   chmod 644 **/*(.)
> >   Hey, all directories are mode 755, while all plain files are mode 644!
> >   Again, no find is necessary, as would be for bash:
> >   find . -type d -exec chmod 755 {} \;
> >   find . -type f -exec chmod 644 {} \;
>
> What's wrong with
>
>         chmod -R go+rX .

It simply sets wrong permissions :-)
(and not every chmod has -R, which is bad)

[from "man chmod"]:
       The letters `rwxXstugo' select the new permissions for the
       affected users: [...] execute only if the file is a directory
       or already has execute permission for some user  (X)
Oops - there's already some plain file mode 755 which I want to have
mode 644 - your solution won't work...

> [...]
>
> > - Why not simply use ^Xh instead of ^X^H? Now, I have a feature of
> >   zsh-3.1.6-dev-xx on ^Xh:
> >   bindkey "^Xh" _complete_help
>
> Why not use M-h, which is built-in, I think.  I don't remember
> configuring it, anyway.

I don't like M-h :-)
(well, and I use ^X <something else> for further mappings, so it is
simply consistent)

CU,
Thomas

--