Re: (forw) --help able programs and completion]

On Jun 26,  8:34am, Matt Armstrong wrote:
}
} squeaker% tar --_main_complete:142: permission denied:
} <then I press ENTER again>
} tar: You must specify one of the `-Acdtrux' options
} Try `tar --help' for more information.
}
} Let me know if there is more I can help to debug this.

The standard thing nowadays is to use the _complete_debug binding, which
should be ctrl-x question-mark.  You type <C-x?> instead of <TAB> at any
lace where the new completion system is giving you trouble, and it'll
`setopt xtrace` (temporarily) and dump the output into a temp file.

An entry is made into your command history to run an editor or pager on
the temp file (so you can use ctrl-p to find it).  Most of the time it
also manages to tell you what it did and the name of the temp file, but
that doesn't always work because other completion output may cover it up.

} Line 142 of _main_complete is:
}
}     elif "$tmp"; then

(That's line 152 in the latest CVS snapshot.)

That's supposed to be executing a completer, which should be a shell
function.  If that's really where the error is occuring (I ought to trust
zsh's line numbering more than I do) then you probably have a bad entry
in your "completer" zstyle.