Re: please advice

On Fri, Jun 30, 2000 at 04:16:14PM +0400, Andrej Borsenkow wrote:

> > I don't see what can be wrong if I use word splitting on that
> > variable(btw,
> > word splitting is done by using WORDCHARS or just white
> > spaces?).. is there
> > somewhere an impediment for that?
> >

>  Shell wordsplitting is using the value of IFS parameter. It should be
> compatible with current Unix standards (POSIX, XPG, SUS etc).
>
> What is the meaning of "impediment"?

uh.. sorry! I've seen that "aspell" knows it so I thought that it has the
same meaning as in my language(romanian).

It means: some reason that stays in the way of an action

To be more clear:

  impediment
       n 1: something immaterial that interferes with or delays action
            or progress [syn: {hindrance}, {deterrent}, {handicap}]
       2: anything that makes progress difficult [syn: {obstruction},
          {impedimenta}]

(quote from WordNet)

--
Mircea Damian