weird problems with zsh

hello!

for some case or another when I type into the command line

% perl -e "print 'aaa'"

it outputs nothing, as opposed to bash which lets perl output 'aaa'

I experience the same problem with /usr/bin/printf, which isn't going to output anything

I've tried to remove all my ~/.zsh* config files, without success

I use FreeBSD 4.3-STABLE that of Jul 8 2001

~% zsh --version
zsh 4.0.1 (i386--freebsd4.3)

zsh has been built from ports

@leg

p.s. I'm not subscribed to the list, so please crosspost your reply to me.