Navigating the directory history list with the arrow keys

Dear zsh users,
    In the old days (~ '95), I used to have an alias or binding that allowed me to traverse the
directory history list created by the "dirs -v" command with the up and down arrow keys on
the keyboard. Is there a way to do this in the new zsh 4.0? Thanks.

"Up to this point White has been following well-known analysis. But now he makes a fatal error: he begins to use his own head." - GM Siegbert Tarrasch