menu selection and enter key

I'm configuring zsh for the first time and trying to understand the features.

Then I found menu *selection*, which let me see where I was as I tabbed thru the candidates by highlighting where I am in the list, which is very convenient. Unfortunately, when I reach the one I want and hit <enter>, it no longer executes. Now it just inserts a space and sits there waiting for me to enter more. I have to hit enter again to make it execute.

I like being able to see where I am on the list more than tabbing thru it blindly, and I like being able to navigate particularly long lists by using the arrow keys (very nice), but how do I get it to execute when I hit <enter> the first time, just the way it does when I'm tabbing thru the list without highlighting? If I want to enter two parameters -- which is the minority of cases -- I should be able to just hit the spacebar and start tabbing again the way I can when the "selection" highlighting is turned off, I would think.

Can menu completion with selection turned on be made to execute on the first tab like it can with selection turned off?

Thanks.