Re: is there way to use vicmd (not viins) layout initially?

Zefram wrote:
> I believe the intent was that in Emacs mode one could switch to
> vi command mode and then switch back to Emacs mode by invoking an
> insert command from the vicmd keymap.

I'm sure that's correct, but it's undocumented and to mind confusing.
Further, I suspect few people use vicmd from Emacs at all.  So I thought
the new way would be more useful.

> I suggest that to achieve starting editing in vi command mode what one
> wants to do is select the "vicmd" keymap instead of "main" when the editor
> is invoked.  Perhaps there could be a specially-named widget that, if it
> exists, gets invoked as soon as ZLE has started up to start editing a new
> command line; this would be the in-ZLE equivalent of the precmd function.

That would be useful anyway.  We could have zle-init-hook (at
initialisation) and zle-start-hook (each time the editor is started).

CSR Ltd., Science Park, Milton Road,
Cambridge, CB4 0WH, UK                          Tel: +44 (0)1223 692070

and/or privileged material.
Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or
taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by
prohibited.
delete the material from any computer.