CHECK_JOBS for suspended jobs only?

I have disabled the HUP option, so it is safe to do

  % foo &
  % exit

I would like to disable the "you have running jobs" warning for jobs
that are running in the background, but /not/ for suspended jobs;
NO_CHECK_JOBS disables both.  Is this fixable without hacking the
source code?

Also, I have a completly unrelated question which is too silly to
warrant its own posting. :-)  If I type "|" after expanding a name
with the completion system, the "|" is inserted to the /left/ of the
cursor instead of /under/ the cursor.  This doesn't break anything
because the completion system inserts a space after the completed
word, but it feels a bit weird so I had to ask why this happens.

zsh 4.0.6 (i386-slackware-linux-gnu).

--
 Haakon