How to redirect stderr to a pipe and stdout to a file?

In bash, I could always do

  $ ls INVALID . 2>&1 >/dev/null | less

to send stderr:

  ls: INVALID: No such file or directory

to the less buffer and stdout to /dev/null.  When I use the
same command in zsh 4.0.6, _both_ stderr and stdout is sent
to less.  If I remove "| less" from the command, it works as it
should:  stdout is discarded and stderr is sent to the terminal.
I've looked through the chapter on redirection in zshmisc(1),
but I couldn't find an answer.  (Of course, that doesn't mean
it's not there. :-)

Thanks in advance for any help.

--
 Haakon