Help with history . . .

Dear zsh users,

I use the Ctrl-R command to search through the history of commands. I've noticed that the history command in zsh by default only shows the last dozen or so entries in the history file. When I use the Ctrl-R command, the command only searches through the same last dozen or so entries in the history file. Is there a way to get Ctrl-R and the history command to show ALL the entries in the history file?

Thanks for any help.

Sincerely,
Peter