problem piping output of shell builtin

Hi all,

I'm migrating from bash to zsh. It hasn't been so bad because I'm sort of new
to shell programming anyways ( though I did have "fun" figuring out that zsh
arrays start incrementing from 1 as opposed to bash's 0 :). I thought I'd
share the latest hiccup...

Why can't I pipe the output of 'jobs' thusly?

	% zsh --version
	zsh 4.0.7 (alpha--netbsd)
	% sleep 100
	^Z
	zsh: suspended  sleep 100
	% sleep 100
	^Z
	zsh: suspended  sleep 100
	% jobs
	[1]    suspended  pine
	[2]  - suspended  sleep 100
	[3]  + suspended  sleep 100
	% jobs | while read line; do echo $line; done
	%

I expect the output of last sequence of commands to be more or less the same
to the sequence before it, as under bash. How can I approximate the bashlike
behavior I expect under zsh?

Thanks for any insight,
Gerald.