su -m on os x

In bash I was used to using su -m to preserve my environment but I am having trouble with this on os x:

su: /usr/local/bin/zsh -l: No such file or directory

reading the su man page:

As a security
precaution, if the target user's shell is a non-standard shell
(as defined by getusershell(3)) and the caller's real uid is non-
zero, su will fail.

I have tried adding /usr/local/bin/zsh to /etc/shells but I guess os x is looking elsewhere. Anyone have this set up properly?

I know I should be using sudo but... bleh, too much typing sometimes!

culley