completion help

After years of avoidance, I've finally decided to start playing with
completion. Here's what I've got:

typeset -A opt_args
local contest state line

_arguments -s -S \
  "1:build:(build test start stop deploy validate help)" \
  "*:file:_files" \
  "-conf[specify configuration file]:file:_files" \
  "-a[automate deploy actions]" \
  "-f[force more or copy]" \
  "-m[move jar]" \
  "-c[copy jar]" \
  "-v(vv vvv)[validate output level 1]" \
  "-vv(v vvv)[validate output level 2]" \
  "-vvv(v vv)[validate output level 3]" \
  && return 0

which works as far as it goes.

What I would like to group options by major mode (the first set of
mutually exclusive options: build test start stop deploy validate and
help) so that only valid options for each mode would apply. So -a -f -m
-c would only apply in the deploy mode and -v -vv -vvv would only apply
in the validate mode.

I'd also like to restrict file completions. For example, I would like to
restrict the -conf file completion to be limited to *.xml and the general
file completion to be limited to *.jar.

Thanks for any help that you can provide.

Dwight Shih