Re: How to get faster completion if I make zsh assume what I've typed so far is correct?

paxunix wrote:
> Why does zsh have to glob every directory along a pathname in order to
> find completions within the final directory?  For example, take this case:
>
> /one/two/three/four <TAB>
>
> If I set -x, the output after hitting TAB shows zsh retrieves all the
> subdirectories within one, two, three and four.

It's looking for /oneandabit/twoandabit/threeandabit/four... etc.

I certainly agree it should be possible to turn this off but the
function that implements this is very hairy and full of calls to poorly
documented shell internals.

The documentation in the zshcompsys manual page suggests setting

  zstyle ':completion:*:paths' accept-exact true

or maybe (I'm not quite sure what the entry means and the implementation
is obscure)

  zstyle ':completion:*:paths' accept-exact '*'

If neither works, I would definitely interpret that as a bug.

I'm afraid vagueness is the order of the day since the author hasn't
been seen in these parts for ages.  Maybe Oliver knows more.

CSR Ltd., Science Park, Milton Road,
Cambridge, CB4 0WH, UK                          Tel: +44 (0)1223 692070

the system manager.

www.mimesweeper.com