Weird error with clearcase

All,

This is clearly a clearcase problem and not a zsh problem, but I'm hoping
that the zsh gurus will be able to tell me why it might be happening.

When the default shell for a user is zsh, a the clearcase "setview"
command is invoked (clearcase version 6), zsh never starts.  Running
strace shows that an error is continuously occuring with the zsh history
file.  The error text says that an O/S call is being invoked to create a
cross device link.

In fact, no cross device link is being requested.  We moved the history
file around, our of home and onto /tmp and various other places, but the
behavior is unchanged.

Does this ring any bells for anyone?

Thanks in advance,
Seth Kurtzberg