Re: Globbing for Empty Directories?

On Monday, March 29, 2004, at 08:28 AM, DervishD wrote:

Aaron Davies <agdavi01@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> dixit:
Adding any subdirectories or files to it seems to increase the number
of links it has.

    Not under Linux, at least, although it may depend on the
filesystem type. For ext3, only subdirs increase the number of links
of a directory.

Or is this hard-link policy not true on all systems?

    I have not tested in many systems, but Linux don't do it, and
I've not found any standard that require files to be links on the
directory. If you find any, please tell me to report the current
behaviour as a bug to Linux kernel developers, but looking at
findutils sources (that being GNU are intended to be very portable),
you can see the following:

I'm on OS X, so it may be a peculiarity of HFS+.
--