Re: ksh Emulation Not Clearing Envariables

Chris Jepeway wrote:
> POSIX wants the envariable to persist across invocations
> of the function "e"?  That seems...counter-intuitive.
> I thought the whole point of
>
> 	VAR=val cmd
>
> was as a shortcut to
>
> 	export VAR=val ; cmd ; unset VAR
>
> nevermind dovetailing with execve()'s env pointer.
>
> Sure, in this case, cmd is a shell function, but...well...so what?
> Eeesh.  POSIX.
>
> But, anyways, the command is "emulate ksh" not "emulate posix".
> Any chance this behavior could change to follow ksh?  ksh88 as
> distributed w/ Solaris-8 is what I'm using for comparison.

I can't find it in POSIX now, but it's controlled by the option
posix_builtins.  We could turn that off for ksh, but I'd like to know if
we really ever need to have it on by default.

CSR Ltd., Science Park, Milton Road,
Cambridge, CB4 0WH, UK                          Tel: +44 (0)1223 692070

the system manager.

www.mimesweeper.com