Problem with Named Dirs & GNU Screen

I've been trying to figure out the named dirs issue I wrote about several weeks ago, but I'm still having problems. The situation is this: I would like to create a named dir "palmfiles" expanding to "~/Documents/Palm/Users/Aaron Davies/Files to Install". To this end, I have in my .zprofile the following line:

export palmfiles=~/Documents/Palm/Users/Aaron\ Davies/Files\ to\ Install

and in my .zshrc:

setopt AUTO_NAME_DIRS

My goal, incidentally, is to have ~palmfiles expandable immediately upon shell startup (ie, typing "~palm<TAB>" should work, not beep). In this I am successful, as long as I'm in zsh directly. However, I prefer to run all my consoles within GNU screen, and there it breaks down. ~palmfiles is still a valid named dir, but it will not expand until it's been used once. I've tried the following: putting the setopt in my zprofile, putting ": palmfiles" in my zprofile, putting ": palmfiles" in my zshrc. None of them worked.

Does anyone have any other ideas?
--