Interactive program in Zsh

    Hello all :)

    I need a program that processes some text and presents a few
options to the user. I know how to do it using 'read -k' for reading
keystrokes and using a couple of escape sequences and 'print' for
printing the output, but I would like to use zle widgets for that.

    What I mean is that I would like to use widget names instead of
escape sequences, something like getting 'up-line-or-history' instead
of "^[[A" if the user presses 'up arrow', so I can use the key combo
that the user wants for going up in a list instead of a fixed
sequence.

    I don't know if this is the proper approach for what I need to
do: the user is limited to use up arrow and down arrow for travelling
into the list of options (maybe pg-up and pg-down for scrolling) and
'enter' to select the highlighted option. The program must process a
text, present a list of options containing the text that matched
certain regex and allow the user to choose one of the options.

    Could you please point me to a source of information? Is this a
good approach or should I write a C program with ncurses? Portability
is not an issue, so to say I want the program be 'zsh-portable', able
to run in any zsh configuration (that's the reason I don't want to
use key sequences).

    Thanks a lot in advance :)

    Raúl Núñez de Arenas Coronado

--