Newbie zsh setup warts (history, pipes, export, ...).

I'm uset to doing "set | grep -i blah" but in zsh that produces:

  Binary file (standard input) matches

"set | less" works.  What's wrong with the grep?

I also don't appear to have history set up correctly.  It's not
saving my history between sessions.  These are in my ~/.zshenv:

  -------------------------------
HISTCONTROL=ignoredups
HISTFILE=$HOME/.zsh_history
HISTSIZE=2000
setopt HIST_EXPIRE_DUPS_FIRST
setopt APPEND_HISTORY
setopt hist_verify
setopt extended_history

export        HISTCONTROL         \
              HISTFILE            \
              HISTSIZE

What am I missing here, and does zsh need those last three exported?

- -