Yes, another completion question

    Hi all :)

    After playing with compsys a bit I've started to play with
compctl. Well, I don't have any doubt about compsys being more
powerful with the shipped functions but...

    What I mean is: if I just want to tweak a bit the default
completions (that is, no functions, just the default widgets) so cd
only gets directories completed and pax only tarballs, is compsys the
solution? I don't think so, but I really would like your advice.

    If I want to use compsys so 'cd' only gets directories completed
when I hit tab, I must rewrite expand-or-complete, taking into
account if I'm dealing with relative paths, absolute paths, named
directories and maybe a dozen or more additional problems, but with
compctl I just do 'compctl -/ cd' and it works.

    I'm sure that I'm wrong, but as I see the issue, compsys is only
useful with the shipped functions, because compadd is very low level
and a lot of work must be done in order to make it work as intended.
All that additional work is already done in the shipped functions,
but I don't feel like using that lot of code just to make cd complete
directories only...

    The new completion system is more configurable, more powerful,
etc. but I don't think I need all that configuration and power. In
fact I prefer the old way, with a dozen compctl commands to make my
life easier... Am I plainly wrong? Is compctl going to dissappear
soon and I should not put a minute of work in writing my compctl
recipes? Only a thicko would use compctl instead of compsys?...

    I don't want to start a flamewar 'compsys vs. compctl', just want
to know more about all that to make an oppinion.

    Thanks for all, boys :))

    Raúl Núñez de Arenas Coronado

--
Linux Registered User 88736